Monday, January 24, 2011

Woops!

Hey, sorry about last week!  I guess the e-mail with the pictures I sent was too big to be posted on the blog and get to some of the e-mail addresses I sent it to.  I guess you can get a hold of my parents if you want to see the pictures and stuff.  In the future I'll be sure to make my pictures smaller so that everyone can see them!  Something about having an 11megapixel camera I guess.
Well I have a couple highlights from the week I want to share! 
First, the other day my companion and I were going all over the place to try and talk with people.  We talked to lots of people and nobody wanted to make out an appointment an investigate the church.  We had been at it for hours.  As is usual, some people got mad, people threatened to call the polizei, some people threatened to--as we would say it in the United States--sick their dog on us.  Really strange day.  Sometimes you have to laugh at the things people do because you know that they probably wouldn't do them if Satan weren't there coaxing them to do so.  Anyhow, we were about to retire to our apartment, because it was that time of day, but my companion was really upset that we hadn't made any appointments.  So we had a few minutes to go talk to people on the street.  We talked to a few people and still had nothing.  There was a Taxi man, a guy filling up his car with gas, a lady walking her dog.  Nothing.  We were walking and saw two younger guys, probably about our age, who did not look very friendly.  One had lots of piercings (as is quite normal in Germany, actually) and walked like he was looking for trouble.  My companion said, "Oh great... Well you can go talk to them if you want."  He didn't want to talk to them, and frankly I was hesitant as well.  I just decided that it would be best to just say something.  I started walking towards them and I opened my mouth.  I started saying stuff.  At first I noticed that my pronounciation was good, I wasn't talking in my normal, very american, accent.  I was confused.  Then I noticed I was saying stuff that I had never said in German before.  It was quite an experience!  The Lord was most definitely working through me.  I didn't talk to those two guys that day, the Lord did.  Not only that, but one of them agreed to meet with us.  It was an amazing experience, and even though I didn't really understand everything that was said, the Lord helped me to say what he wanted to say in the way he wanted it said.  The Lord is there, he knows everything, we just need to trust him and open our mouths!  How can we know if somebody needs the gospel or not without talking to them?  We can't. 
Another experience was more of a fun one.  Occasionally, when there are a lot of people on the street, my companion will talk to one person while I talk to another one.  That way, we can allow every person the chance to listen to the gospel.  So I was talking to a lady.  Probably 23 or so.  She didn't have interest at first, then she asked me if I came from Holland.  I replied that I don't... I actually come from America.  All of the sudden she wanted to know why I would come from America to some town in Germany.  I did my best to explain it with my testimony.  She still didn't have interest, but she listened more because I came all the way from America to tell it to her.  I asked her for referrals and she said she knew friends who would be interested, but she didn't want to give their addresses away.  I just thought it was a cool experience because she thought I was from Holland, and because she was so surprised that I would come from America to tell people about the Gospel. 
Other than that, it has been a week full of knocking on doors, talking with people on the street, and a few appointments with people.  Even though we don't have a lot of investigators now, I can feel the Spirit planting a seed in people's hearts as we talk to them on the street.  It has been a great week.  I am excited for another one!